Rewaxing With Best Made’s Martexin Original Wax
As fall approaches it’s a good idea to do some of the regular maintenance on your gear. Oil your boots, shake out your winter coat, and rewax any waxed cotton, canvas clothing, or packs that need it.
Remember, never to dry clean or wash a waxed garment in a washing machine. This will remove the wax and the whole garment will need to be rewaxed. The following instructions are for rewaxing fabric that has already been waxed. The areas that most often require rewaxing are areas that rub against one another, or bend or crease, such as the elbows and knees.
First, determine if your garment needs rewaxing. Many times simply using a hot hair dryer and some vigorous rubbing will be enough to redistribute enough wax and eliminate any crease marks. To test the garment’s water resistance, spray the area with water and let it sit for 10 minutes. If the water beads up and stays beaded it probably doesn’t need rewaxing. If the beads disappear into the fabric, prepare to rewax the garment.
1. First clean the area to be rewaxed. Remove any dirt. Try scrubbing with water first. If needed, use a bit of mild soap to clean heavily soiled areas.
2. Warm the area of the garment you’ll be applying the wax to with a hair dryer. This will relax the fibers in the fabric and help the wax to initially penetrate upon application. Use your fingers to rub the garment as you heat it. This may redistribute enough wax to remove crease marks and may be all your garment needs.
3. Apply the wax. Start with a small amount and apply as evenly as possible with your fingers. Wear a pair of vinyl gloves to help keep your hands clean. Using your fingers, rather than a rag, allows the heat from your hand to help keep the wax soft. And, it makes for the most efficient use of your wax. The garment should take on a smooth waxy sheen. Pay special attention to any seams and apply a little extra wax to them.
4. Heat the wax with a hair dryer and rub it in vigorously with your fingers. This will melt the wax into the fabric. The waxy sheen will dissipate, but will not entirely disappear. Continue heating and rubbing until the wax has completely melted and the fabric takes on a uniform appearance.
5. Let the garment rest overnight. This will allow the wax to penetrate the fiber even more.
Now, test your garment with a spray bottle to check its water resistance. The water should bead on the surface. Reapply wax to any needed areas. Remember that a waxed cotton garment or pack is water resistant, and often not entirely waterproof. The amount of wax required to make a garment entirely waterproof results in a stiff appearance.
The first few wearings after rewaxing can cause some of the surface wax to rub off onto other objects and garments. So, it’s best to keep the garment separated from other clothing.
Over time, the heat from your body will further heat the wax into the fabric. Depending on the thickness of the fabric some garments will need to be broken in again, but this shouldn’t take too long.
68 Notes/ Hide
- blackestsheep likes this
- craigmjennings likes this
- leatherwoodwool reblogged this from bestmadeco
- mfa-acd likes this
- neglectedchild likes this
- jordandene likes this
- steelandsplinters likes this
- brianjsue reblogged this from bestmadeco
- mr-arlingtonbeech likes this
- cooperhill likes this
- makebuildfixit reblogged this from bestmadeco and added:
- thebelovedmoon likes this
- nejicommu likes this
- jacobfloeche likes this
- tcharlatan likes this
- charlottexcsullivan likes this
- atelierdu4 reblogged this from bestmadeco
- fly-eagle-fly likes this
- shapad likes this
- envelopedideas likes this
- theshooterremainsnameless likes this
- aapacin likes this
- 5703 likes this
- ukeno likes this
- highcapacityassaulttits reblogged this from reo-swagwagon
- cabinfodder likes this
- riripandalili likes this
- chicagoted likes this
- studiogeneric likes this
- 556operateitfaggit likes this
- reo-swagwagon reblogged this from originalslimjim
- originalslimjim reblogged this from senjukannon
- ngngngngngngng likes this
- thewaterwillcome likes this
- jaycemonde likes this
- sirsammichman likes this
- favvriel likes this
- osiflandia likes this
- dicksmcghee likes this
- gypsonite likes this
- bossrobotdad reblogged this from sigsauer-ist
- senjukannon reblogged this from sigsauer-ist
- ancap-princess reblogged this from sigsauer-ist
- bossrobotdad likes this
- mannyespana likes this
- knotformation likes this
- senjukannon likes this
- whiskey-weather likes this
- michaelsonn reblogged this from thefoggymountain and added:
- eightytwenty likes this